RSPB Old Moor Nature Reserve
With easily accessible paths, a cafe, toilets, shop, regular family activities and quiet remote hides for birdwatching, we have something for everyone. Go for a walk around the reserve, explore the discovery zone, or simply relax at the picnic benches around the wildlife pools and flower rich meadows and enjoy the insects as they whizz past while you listen to the sounds of nature in this urban oasis. Old Moor has a special place in the heart of the Dearne Valley. It’s a great place for families, photographers, nature enthusiasts and anyone, young or old, that wants to get away from it all and simply enjoy being close to nature.
In summer the reserve is ablaze with brightly coloured dragonflies, butterflies, birds and orchids and in cooler months is awash with the golds of autumn or the brilliant white of winter amid the cacophony of flocks of noisy waterfowl taking to the air.
Young visitors can burn off energy in our adventure playground while explorer backpacks and pond dipping kits are available to help children discover trees, logpiles, and the creatures of our ponds and pools.
Events and special attractions throughout the year
Stargazing with our local astronomy society takes place on winter evenings. Learn all about the mysteries of the skies and enjoy a walk around the reserve as the sun sets.
Open air theatre in the summer. Bring a picnic and relax while our local theatre company entertain you with family favourite shows.
Photography viewpoints across the reserve get you the best wildlife shots. Advice is available to help you achieve stunning pictures.
Drawing, Dipping and Discovery Days and Tuesday Tales are held throughout the school holidays with fun and activities for all little explorers.
Bushcraft for families in the summer will give you the basic skills to make your camping trip or night in the back garden extra special.
The Discovery Zone is packed with exciting games for all the family in the beautiful setting of our wildlife ponds. Activity backpacks and pond dipping kits can be hired to help you discover even more about the wildlife that lives on our reserve.
Top things to do
- Explore the Discovery Zone and adventure playground where little adventurers can go wild with backpacks and pond dipping kits.
- Take a picnic to the wildlife ponds and delight at dragonflies filling the air with jewel colours.
- Enjoy the spectacle of outdoor theatre on a balmy summers evening
- Hear the bittern boom for a mate and then watch the amazing feeding flights over the reedbeds.
- Browse in the shop and enjoy a bit of retail therapy
- Watch thousands of wading birds take to the sky across Wath Ings.
- Brace yourself for a frosty morning walk to see wildfowl in their winter finery
- Experience the wonders of stargazing on a clear winter’s night.
- Warm up with a bowl of soup in the cafe
- Stock up on bird food to keep your feathered friends in tip top condition for the cold months